For our last group hospital trip, EWH went to Selian Hospital near Arusha. I started the day working on 3 blood-pressure and pulse-oximeter machines.
The plug is European so I cut it and hard-wired it into the electricity.
And all three ended up working! Pretty easy way to start the day… We just switched out the plug heads and now the machines are ready to go in the hospital. There were no pulse-oximeter sensors but they will most likely work if Selian wants to use them with these machines.
Luke and Betsy working on an oxygen concentrator.
Arusha-Tech guys that are learning with EWH working on an infant warmer.
After working on the vital-sign machines I fixed up a heater. I worked on the exact same model at Mount Meru Hospital so this time it was much easier and faster to fix.
Betsy testing nebulizer Cecilia fixed.
And then at the end of the day I got to work on an incubator!
It wouldn’t turn on so we opened up the control box.
And after a lot of troubleshooting where the power was coming in and going out we found out that there was a loose connection in those two red wires running into the fan that blows onto the heating coils (probably from somebody trying to work on the inside in the past because the seal was broken). After replugging the wires the machine worked!
The sensors both work but the hospital will have to add the skin probes for full functionality.
Now we have to deal with some of the mechanical issues… Both the backup batteries on the bottom shelf are dead and there are some bad fixes to some parts of the machine like the yellow office paper. Also, there is a burned out light bulb and the humidity sensor needs new batteries.
Epoxying a crack in the water tank that holds water to be used for humidity control.
And its a functioning incubator.
With a few more fixes from the group staying at Selian this will be ready to be put back into use.
Since we were in Arusha a few of us stayed and went to the Maasai market.
It was really cool and a good way to practice speaking Swahili.
Teaching at St. Jude’s!